Mr Monkey nipped into the South Tower, which is sometimes known as the Stern Tower to people who mistake Blackness Castle for a ship. It seems to have been the 15th century Great Hall until it suddenly got taller and much thicker walls as part of the 1537 - 1542 modifications. Mr Monkey inspected the ground floor vaulted chamber and the small rooms, each with a gunport, leading off it, before deciding he preferred the hall upstairs.
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey. This page last modified 5 September 2005